Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Coolest Classroom Ever!



Art has never really been my thing. I mastered the whole "coloring between the lines" thing but that's about the extent of my skills. Picasso, Dali, Rembrandt--sure I've heard the names but could I distinguish their work from one another? Probably not. So, even for an art-novice like myself, this class is cool. Art History 496: Paintings in the Prado Museum. Every Monday, our time consists of what I assume what most art history classes are like: a lecture on a particular artist or time period with slides showing relevant paintings. Wednesdays, though, are spent in the Prado Museum, one of the world's best, seeing the paintings come alive. This is sort of like taking a baseball history class (Do they have those? If so, sign me up!) in Cooperstown.

Our first trip yesterday was meant to give us an overview of the museum--it's organized by time period (or if your Goya or Velasquez, you get a whole room to yourself).

Our teacher, Paco, seems to know everything about art (although I'm hardly qualified to be making these judgments). Looking at the paintings through my current knowledge is fun, if superficial. However, once Paco explained the history, symbolism, culture and techniques associated with a painting, it became so much more fascinating. No photos allowed so here's a sample of some of the ones we saw, brought to you by your friends at Google.

"The Garden of Earthly Delights" by Hieronymus "El Bosco" Bosch. Crazy stuff going on here.

"The Descent of Christ" by Roger van der Weyden. The colors are shockingly bright in person.

"Christ Washing the Disciples' Feet" by Tintoretto. The table is supposed to appear like it's pointing toward the viewer at whatever angle they are standing. I don't buy it.

"Charles IV of Spain and His Family" by Francisco Goya. Goya was the royal painter until he did this one--full of satire. Not too flattering I must say.

"A Nobleman with his Hand on his Chest" by El Greco. That about sums it up.

"Las Meninas" by Diego Velázquez. Paco said we'll study this one for a while.

"Saturn Devouring his Son" by Goya. Paco said Goya decorated his house with stuff like this. Charming.

That's all for now. Until later, hasta luego.

1 comment:

  1. charming, indeed. keep up the awesomeness in spain! We're sending good vibes here from sunny socal. -Leon

    ReplyDelete